How to Report a Complaint about a Birth Center
If you have a complaint about the quality of care at an accredited birth center, please use the Birth Center Quality Incident Report Form at the bottom of this page.
Scope of Complaint Evaluations
The CABC strongly encourages you to first bring your complaint to the attention of the birth center Director. If this does not lead to resolution, bring your complaint to us for review.
The CABC addresses all complaints that are within the scope of the CABC’s Indicators of Compliance with Standards for Birth Centers (Register to download your copy!).
Complaint information is used to:
- Ensure the birth center’s continued compliance with CABC accreditation requirements.
- Improve the quality and relevance of CABC Indicators
Eligibility for Complaint Review
- The birth center involved is currently accredited by CABC and was CABC-accredited at the time of the incident involved in the complaint.
- The Complainant is one of the following
- Birth center client or Personal Representative as defined by HIPAA
- Birth center provider or staff member
- Receiving hospital or Consulting Clinical Specialist as defined by CABC Indicators
- The complaint information is relevant to CABC Indicators in place at the time of the incident in question.
- The complaint relates to an incident occurring within the 365-days of the compliant being filed.
- The information provided in the complaint is sufficiently clear to allow determination of its relevance to the CABC Indicators.
CABC does not review complaints that involve:
- Birth centers not accredited by CABC at the time of the incident AND currently
- Complainant who is not one of those listed above
- Incidents occurring more than 365-days prior to filing of the complaint.
- Individual billing issues or payment disputes.
- Areas of possible criminal or civil violations of the law.
- Allegations of malfeasance.
CABC does not:
- Direct individual clinical management of a client’s care.
- Review complaint proceedings between another organization or agency and the same Complainant.
- Mediate between the Birth Center and Complainant.
- Retain any records of the complaint review other than the final summary letters.
What is the Complaint Review Process?